Manhattan through Spiritual, Southern, Single eyes

Quote

O make me Thine forever;
And, should I fainting be,
Lord, let me never, never
Out live my love to Thee.

written by Bernard of Clairvaux in the 12th Century

Friday, September 23, 2011

Risking for Deeper Community


Tuesday night I got the amazing privilege of experiencing community the way we talk about how community should be. During our fellowship group this fall we are doing what we call "hot seat" where one or two ladies will share challenges or concerns with the group. The group then goes around and tells that person their thoughts and encouraging things. After this, the person in the hot seat is prayed for.





I had the privilege of going first. But, I honestly dreaded this. I love the idea of community. I love talking about its value and how & why we should all pursue it but at the end of the day, typing up the concerns & fears of my heart is simply hard to do. That kind of risk and vulnerability has never been easy for me.


I cannot explain the grace I experienced on Tuesday night. These dear friends read scripture to me that they thought of when they think of me. Things like they experience me as the aroma of Christ, a shepherd, refreshing the hearts of saints, full of joy, etc. You see these encouraging words would always be amazing to hear but to hear them after this intensely hard year I've had, it means so much more. It shows me that God is at work in me and through me. These ladies experience these verses in my life simply because GRACE & the GOSPEL changes everything.

Once again I left being convinced of vulnerability and the richness of a deep community that I've begged God for since I moved to this crazy town of mine. He's proven beyond faithful. I love you ladies to pieces and look forward to the rest of fall as you each take a turn in the "hot seat" for yourself.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This kinda made me teary, Amy. 1) because your fear of vulnerability struck a chord and 2) because I would pay good money to be in a group like that with you.

I love you, dear, and am so happy for this sweet grace in your life.